Looking for the best place to stay in Singapore?
Follow the guide, we have tested, listed and detailed for you the best areas to stay in Singapore and the best accommodation in this city-state that never sleeps.
You might think that Singapore is a country turned towards the future, with its avant-garde, futuristic architecture, impeccably clean streets and high-class shops, but that in no way obscures the other dimension of this island-state. Singapore is also a patchwork of cultures living harmoniously side by side, which makes it especially fascinating. Indians, Chinese, Malays and Europeans live together in symbiosis, adding depth and richness at every level: architectural, cultural, culinary.
Read on to find out the best areas to stay in Singapore.
⏰ Don’t have time to read it all?
Here are the best places to stay in Singapore, with hotels ranging from upmarket to budget. They all have excellent reviews and are in great locations!
🚨 These hotels are some of the most popular so don’t delay booking. Plus, they offer free cancellation, so don’t worry if you change your mind.
- Best upmarket hotel: Marina Bay Sands or The Fullerton Bay
- Best value: Oakwood Premier ❤️
- Best budget hotel: Wink Capsule Hostel
- Best well-located flat: Nice Apartment
- Best family hotel: Scarlet Singapore
- Best honeymoon hotel: The Raffles
Singapore, the most expensive city in the world for accommodation?
As you know, Singapore, the Lion City, is known as a city where prices are exorbitant, which is why it has been described as the most expensive city in the world. But don’t let that put you off, because there are always options that offer good value for money, and that will satisfy you without emptying your pockets!
Whether you’re looking for a luxury hotel, a small intimate hotel or a budget guesthouse, Singapore has a wide range of accommodation to choose from.
Where to sleep for the first time in Singapore: Marina Bay
Looking for the best place to stay in Singapore on your first visit?
If you’re visiting the city for the first time and want to make the most of your Singapore experience, Marina Bay is definitely a must-visit and the best place to stay in Singapore! It’s one of the city’s most famous and sought-after districts!
The district is home to some of Singapore’s most grandiose monuments and attractions, such as Marina Bay Sands, the immense skyscraper in the shape of a colossal ship, and the statue of Merlion, a mythical creature half fish half lion, spitting water.
Here, too, is the magical Gardens by the Bay, with its titanic tropical greenhouses. At night, this park becomes the scene of splendid lights and fireworks set to music.
Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, a true Singapore landmark, is a work of architecture comprising two monumental domes with more than seven thousand aluminium panels, positioned in different directions to provide optimum natural lighting. Here you can enjoy a variety of theatrical performances and concerts.
Try to be at Gardens by the Bay at 7.45 or 8.45pm when the Supertrees, trees straight out of science fiction films, light up the square and offer a magical show of light and music, lasting fifteen sublime minutes.
Finally, Marina Bay is a central district from which you can easily reach many of Singapore’s attractions on foot.
Best hotels to stay at in this part of Singapore
- ❤️ Marina Bay Sands – An icon and one of the best hotels in Singapore, it’s even considered a symbol or landmark of the city! You’ll be impressed by its stunning rooftop infinity pool, 20 dining options and modern, trendy casino. The rooms are absolutely superb and the hotel has all the facilities you could need to feel like a true queen or king during your stay in Singapore. Centrally located, close to Gardens by the Bay! See price and availability.
- The Raffles – Another iconic boutique hotel in downtown Singapore! Whether you’re staying here or not, this is a must-see, as The Raffles preserves some of Singapore’s history and heritage. The Raffles was opened in 1887 and is one of the few 19th century hotels in the world still open! See price and availability.
- The Fullerton Bay Hotel – A 5-star hotel located in this beautiful part of the city and one of Singapore’s finest luxury hotels! This stunning accommodation also boasts a rooftop swimming pool and bar where you can relax and take in the magnificent views of the city. With its large windows and luxury amenities, I’m sure this hotel will be the perfect choice for your stay in Marina Bay. See price and availability.
Best value for money
- ❤️ Oakwood Premier – With stylish rooms, an incredible pool with one of the best views of the skyline and a fitness centre, all this and more awaits you at this cool accommodation. You can order room service if you’re too tired, but there’s also a restaurant and bar that you should definitely check out during your stay! See price and availability.
- Scarlet Singapore – Wondering where to stay in Singapore for value for money? This property is my second recommendation because of its tidy, well-decorated rooms. This lovely 4-star hotel offers free Wi-Fi, a flat-screen TV, and even a rooftop restaurant with delicious food and an outdoor hot tub! Perfect for a great value stay in Singapore. See price and availability.
Cheap hotels in Marina Bay
With Marina Bay being such a luxurious destination, it’s a little difficult to find budget accommodation in the area – but not impossible! Here are 2 hotels with great reviews for travellers looking for cheap accommodation in Singapore:
- Wink Capsule Hostel – A modern hostel that offers guests all the amenities you could need! The accommodation is equipped with air conditioning, free wifi, a shared kitchen and a bathroom. So when you’re not exploring the streets of Singapore, you can rest assured that you’ll have all the comforts you need here. See price and availability.
- Champion Hotel City – Another great choice for tourists on a budget. This hotel is just 400 metres from the waterfront, allowing you to reach Marina Bay in no time. All rooms have en suite facilities, flat-screen TV, kettle, free wi-fi and more! See price and availability.
Marina Bay: 5 things to see and do
- Visit Gardens By The Bay: an ultra-attractive park with the Supertrees show and its futuristic botanical gardens
- Marina Bay Sands – A hotel and major shopping centre. Be sure to visit its SkyPark observation deck with the largest infinity pool. But if you’re not a hotel guest, you won’t be able to swim there.
- Merlion Statue – a mythical creature dreamed up by the Singapore Tourism Board in the 1980s, becoming an icon of Singapore.
- Helix Bridge – Excellent panoramic view of the city’s rooftops
- ArtScience Museum – this is a fascinating place to visit on your own or with the family. It offers a host of immersive and interactive exhibitions to suit all ages.
Where to stay in Singapore with your family: the Colonial Quarter
North of Chinatown
Looking for the best place in Singapore to stay with your family? The Historic Quarter, right in the heart of Singapore, is home to some of Singapore’s most sumptuous colonial monuments, the oldest of which is the imposing and massive Parliament Building.
What’s more, because it’s right in the middle of Singapore’s different districts, it’s easy to get to Orchard Road, an area that’s very lively both day and night, and where you can eat out, take a walk or a boat trip, and enjoy yourself in the evening.
But the colonial quarter also hides many other surprises: churches such as the Enfant-Jésus Convent, museums including the Singapore History Museum, the Asian Civilisations Museum and the Fine Arts Museum, as well as Canning Fort, from which you can enjoy a magnificent view of the city, and above all the legendary Raffles Hotel, a true national icon dating back to 1899.
So, if you’re interested in museums and history and want to be close to the nightlife in the Quays and Marina Bay area, or to get to Orchard Road, Little India and Kampong Glam quickly, the Colonial Quarter is the suburb for you.
Here you’ll find several MRT stations, making it easy to get around the rest of Singapore.
Best hotels to stay in the Colonial Quarter
Upscale hotels in Singapore
- Parkroyal on Pickering – One of Singapore’s finest five-star hotels in Chinatown, with an entire floor dedicated to wellness, including an outdoor pool, spa and beautiful garden! The on-site restaurant serves delicious international and South East Asian dishes and you can even party the night away at the top of the hotel in the Orchid Club Lounge! See price and availability.
- ❤️ The Oasia Hotel is a superb 27-storey boutique hotel located in the heart of Singapore’s Chinatown district, close to countless attractions. Guests are sure to enjoy the outdoor swimming pool, the relaxing terrace, the cool bar and the hotel restaurant serving delicious food. The hotel features a stunning contemporary design and superb facilities to help you feel at home in Chinatown! See price and availability.
Best value for money
- ❤️ Scarlet Singapore – This is one of the best mid-priced hotels in Singapore’s Chinatown, offering excellent value for money. The boutique-style rooms are simply stunning and the rooftop restaurant and outdoor pool are a bonus for a great stay in the city! What’s more, the rooms are very clean and beautifully decorated! See price and availability.
- Heritage Collection – Modern, chic accommodation where you can relax and unwind before exploring the city! Just a 5-minute walk from Chinatown metro station, this hotel also offers flat-screen TV, free Wi-Fi and laundry facilities. See price and facilities.
- The Bohemian Chic – My first recommendation for cheap hotels in Chinatown Singapore. You’ll be pleased to know that this place has a great games room and a lovely communal lounge where you can connect and befriend other residents! The rooms are nice and tidy and have a shared bathroom. What’s more, the property is very close to an MRT station! See price and availability.
- Cube Boutique Capsule Hotel – This budget hotel offers family rooms with private or shared bathrooms. You will have access to a shared lounge where you can watch TV or play video games. Rooms are also equipped with a TV and air conditioning. See price and availability.
5 things to do or see
- Visit Fort Canning Park
- National Museum of Singapore
- National Gallery Singapore
- Admire the legendary Raffles Hotel
- St Andrew’s Cathedral
Where to stay in Singapore cheap : Kampong Glam
Looking for the best cheap place to stay in Singapore? A glam district, as the locals tend to say! An expression that in local jargon means: glamorous. And we think the term aptly captures the eclectic ambience that reigns in this area, born of a subtle blend of history, culture and trendy lifestyle.
There’s a whole cocktail of Islamic and trendy cafés and restaurants. But if you want Malaysian, Italian, Mexican, Vietnamese or Chinese food, you’ll be spoilt for choice, and in all price ranges.
In the evenings, the streets of Kampong Glam, especially Haji Lane, come alive with live music and a vibrant nightlife.
If you’re a shopaholic, Haji Lane is also the place to be. It offers a row of multi-brand boutiques and original stalls, as well as trendy bars and cafés. Traditional items such as Persian carpets, kebaya dresses and homemade perfumes can also be found in Arab Street and Bussorah Street.
The area also boasts the illustrious Masjed of the Sultan, as well as a number of culturally vibrant side streets.
Istana Park, home to the Malay Heritage Centre, is well worth a visit. Here you can learn a lot about Malay history and culture.
Just north of Kampong Glam, you’ll find the trendy Jalan Besar, or High Street in Malay, lined with shophouses of various designs.
If you’re looking to save money and want to sleep and eat cheaply, then stay in Kampong Glam.
Best cheap hotels in Kampong Glam
Pan Pacific Serviced Suites – This 5-star condo-hotel offers the perfect setting for a luxurious stay in this area! The hotel is actually made up of beautiful flats and you’ll also have access to an outdoor pool, fitness centre, and more. Plus, it’s very close to the Bugis MRT station! See price and availability.
Best value for money
❤️ Parkroyal Hotel – Wake up to stunning city views in the comfortable rooms of this modern hotel with restaurant. Grab your coffee and breakfast and head to the spa for a relaxing day. The hotel also has a swimming pool, so pack a swimming costume! See price and availability.
Cube Boutique Capsule – If you’re looking for an affordable hotel to stay in this area, look no further than the Cube Boutique! It boasts a host of facilities, including air conditioning, a library and a bar. Grab a drink and head to the patio to make some new friends! See price and availability.
5 things to do or see
- Visit Sultan Mosque – Singapore’s largest mosque
- Malay Heritage Centre Museum. Originally a lavish palace erected in honour of Singapore’s last sultan.
- Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Buddhist Temple
- Bugis Street Market
- Haji Lane – a small Art Deco alleyway, with murals and overflowing with small shops, restaurants and cafés with a pleasant atmosphere.
Where to stay in Singapore for shopping? Orchard Road
Between Dhoby Ghaut and Orchard stations.
Why do we suggest this district? Because it’s a shopper’s paradise. Orchard Road is undoubtedly home to the best upmarket shopping in the world. All along the broad Orchard Road you’ll find huge, modern shopping centres on both sides of the street. You’ll find everything from designer clothes shops to camera shops. Orchard is certainly a dream destination for those who like to shop in designer boutiques. But there’s more to it than that. Venture into the little side streets and you’ll find a myriad of pleasant bars and restaurants and a more relaxed atmosphere.
Inside the shopping centres you’ll also find multiplex cinemas, as well as a number of restaurants, cafés and food courts that offer excellent value for money.
If you’re a keen reader like us, then take this opportunity to visit the Kinokuniya branch of the bookshop inside the Ngee Ann City shopping centre. It’s the biggest bookshop in the world.
If you’re feeling tired or stressed, no problem, because just north of Orchard Road, you can escape the hustle and bustle of the city and stop off at Istana Park, a veritable jewel of greenery. This is also where the presidential residence is located. You can enjoy a drink on the terrace of one of Singapore’s most sumptuous bars.
MRT lines serve the area very well, so you’ll have no trouble getting to the rest of the city from here.
Best hotels in the best shopping area
Four Seasons Hotel Singapore – My top recommendation for luxury travellers and one of the best hotels in Orchard Road Singapore, close to the famous shopping street. This beautiful 5-star hotel awaits you with spacious, sunny rooms and world-class service that will make you feel incredible. During your stay at Orchard Road, you can enjoy spa treatments, use the 24-hour gym or play tennis if you wish. See price and facilities.
Best value for money
❤️ Yotel Singapore – An excellent Orchard Road hotel with affordable prices and great service. The hotel restaurant serves delicious food and you can relax in the outdoor pool after a day exploring this wonderful city. All rooms have flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi and even a seating area. See price and availability.
5 things to do or see
- Go shopping at ION Orchard Mall, Singapore’s large upmarket shopping centre
- Take a trip to Istana Park
- Discover the many food courts in the Orchard Road area, Takashimaya Food Village
- Visit the Kinokuniya branch bookshop
- Go to the cinema